This is a list of proposals for rail lines on the central Alföld, or Great Hungarian Plain. The list covers roughly the area bounded by the cities Kecskemét, Szolnok, Debrecen, Oradea, Arad, and Szeged. The proposals include new sections, to match the rail network to the urban structure, and improve connections. The existing services are poor, the lines are generally in bad condition, and many are being closed.
A typical rail line of the Alföld, line 145 in this case, public domain image by VT…
See also the list of proposals for the adjoining region around Subotica and Szeged. The lines north of the main east-west line (Szolnok – Debrecen, Hungarian Line 100) are not listed here – re-alignment is less relevant in those cases.
- Kecskemét – Békéscsaba regional line
- new rail line Szentes – Orosháza
- regional line Debrecen – Berettyóújfalu – Oradea
- regional line Szolnok – Gyoma – Oradea
- upgraded Szeged – Békéscsaba rail line
- regional line Orosháza – Mezőtúr – Karcag
- regional line Orosháza – Arad
- regional line Szeged – Mezőhegyes – Békéscsaba
- regional line Gyoma – Dévaványa – Karcag
- upgraded line Békéscsaba – Oradea
- regional line Szeged – Makó – Arad
Two other lines can be upgraded on the existing route, without new infrastructure: